Print This Page

You can file your bankruptcy in Wisconsin even if you just moved here

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 in Chapter 7, Exemptions, Wisconsin

You can file your bankruptcy case in Wisconsin even if you are relatively new to the State.  Suppose you move to Wisconsin after having spent the last several years elsewhere.  First, welcome to a state with wonderful people and a lot of reasons to stay.   But you might be moving to Wisconsin and be concerned about filing a bankruptcy.  This is where an experienced bankruptcy attorney can assist you.

You have some flexibility, just like the big corporations which file their cases in New York and Delaware.  Once you’ve lived in Wisconsin a little more than 3 months, you can file your case here.  Or you could file your case in Wisconsin right away if most of your property is now located in Wisconsin.

If you just moved to Wisconsin, you can’t use  Wisconsin’s exemption law to figure out what property you can keep.  Chances are, you’re going to use your old state’s rules.  The key factor is where you lived in the 180 day period before the last two years started.  If, like me, you moved recently from Illinois, spending the bulk of that 180 period in the Land of Lincoln, you’d be using the Illinois rules.  Sometimes, however, you may have to use the federal exemptions.  Make sure your lawyer asks you the right questions so that you can get the right answers.

For financial relief in Kenosha, Racine, Walworth or Milwaukee, call Lakelaw today at 262.694.7300 and ask for Attorney Ryan Blay or David Leibowitz.

This post was written by Ryan Blay, Supervising Attorney in Lakelaw’s Kenosha office.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *